We all have a love hate relationship with our garages. We love that they provide a safe haven for our cars and give us space to store things free. But when they get all junked-up, we hate the mess we have to deal with.
Most homeowners understand the fact that their garage is an important part of their home. One, from a curb appeal factor, it can add value to your home. Also, it can be added security to your main entrance into your home.
We at A Plus Garage Doors realize that as important as it may be, we don’t give it a lot of thought. So we thought that we would share some interesting facts about it that you may enjoy.
- First let’s look at where the word “garage” came from. It is from the French word “garer” which means “to shelter.”
- They keep growing is size, nearly 20% of all garages built today are large enough to store 3 cars.
- 71% of us use it as our front door.
- The first overhead door was invented in 1921 by C.G. Johnson, he also invented the first automatic garage door opener in 1926. What is funny here, is that it took nearly 40 years for this to become a popular and commonplace item to have for your garage.
- In 1915, it only comprised 8% of the square footage of a home. Today the average is 45% of an average home. Many home renovations include taking the original garage as additional living area.
- There have been many great bands that started out in a garage. They include the Beatles and Metallica. As well as several major corporations started there also. They include such names as Apple, Walt Disney, and Google. Who knows, you may come up with your own great invention while working in your garage.
We at A Plus Garage Doors know that this information is probably trivial. But we hope that it lightened your day somewhat, from all the day to day activities you may experience that may be of more of a serious nature. If you are shopping for new garage doors, openers, or just need repairs, please call us for an affordable pricing. We have been helping people in Baldwin County for many years. There is no job too large or too small that we would be glad to handle for you. Please call us in Eastern Shore at 251 626-0773 and in South Baldwin County at 251 971-3331, if we can help.